Microsoft XP support

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Mon Apr 28 08:21:14 PDT 2008

FWIW, I have been running a number of Vista systems, both 32-bit and 64-bit
with nary a problem for a while now. SP1 significantly restores the performance
problems that the original Vista releases had.

The biggest problem with Vista was that Microsoft over-promised and
under-delivered, late! They also pressured software and hardware vendors
for support of Vista features such as XPS that are effectively irrelevant.
And of course, with nothing else to write about, the trade press certainly
were waiting to pounce on the Vista "failure." Corporate IT/IS types were
mad at Microsoft for requiring them to pay for "software assurance"
maintenance agreements over a period of the last number of years being
promised a "free" significant OS upgrade during the time of those pricey
"software assurance" agreements; what they got didn't live up to the billing
and the costs.

I certainly would NOT recommend that anyone running of an existing XP
system "upgrade" the operating system to Vista. It buys nothing significant.
For a new system with multiple core processor(s) and significant memory,
Vista is not a bad idea.

I remember that in 1990 when Microsoft released Windows 3.0, there were
those screaming about how they would NEVER migrate beyond Windows 2.1 ...

        - Dov