Microsoft XP support

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon Apr 28 09:18:15 PDT 2008

Austin Meredith wrote:
> According to this morning's newspaper, Microsoft plans to discontinue
> its support of XP on June 30th. Is this something we should be discussing?

(Sorry about the previous posting with no content but the quote --
that's the first hiccup I've experienced with Thunderbird.)

What MS announced was that by the end of June, computer makers will have
to stop *selling* Windows XP for all uses other than ultra-low-cost PCs.
  Mainstream technical support will continue to be available for Windows
XP through April 2009, and more limited support will continue through
April 2014.  (That probably means that the constant stream of patches
for security "vulnerabilities" will continue till then.)

MS had originally said they would stop selling XP in January, but were
forced by market pressure to extend that date.

It is already most unusual that MS is still allowing XP to be sold when
its successor has been on the market for so long.  We all knew that XP
would disappear when Vista arrived -- we shouldn't expect any more
difficulties than were experienced when previous OS versions were
superceded.

best,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"It is not enough that I succeed.
  Others must fail."

-- Oscar Wilde  (or was it Bill Gates??)