Learning curve for FrameMaker

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Tue Apr 29 08:00:53 PDT 2008

If you can find a copy of FrameMaker 5 (e-bay, Craig's List, etc.) buy
it for the manual; I still have the book (approx 700 pages) and it
clearly explains a great deal of how Frame works: lots of info about
master pages; reference pages; generating and formatting Tables of
Contents, Indices, Lists of ....  Of course, features added later won't
be covered, but the background understanding this provides is fantastic.

FM 5.5 also included a fairly substantial manual (but it was slightly
smaller than the 5.0 edition) and subsequent versions have been
progressively smaller with more info moved to online help - but that
often means you must understand how the creator chose to indentify and
index it.  While that is also true for the books, information always
seemed readily accessible in the paper copies to me.

On Tuesday, April 29, 2008 09:41 AM, Steve Rickaby wrote:

| At 08:25 -0500 29/4/08, Deirdre Reagan wrote:
|
| > So, for me, the curve is fairly steep.  For what it's worth, I'm
| > now (four months into it) considered the office expert, even though
| > three other people have been using it longer than I have.
|
| Sarah O'Keefe and Sheila Loring's book 'FrameMaker 7: Publishing
| Fundamentals' is a worthwhile investment in my view.
|
| --
| Steve

- Lester