Figure Numbering Problem

Howard Rauch techtransfer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 12 08:19:18 PDT 2008

I am working on a service manual using the client's template. I have run into a problem with the auto numbering of figures. The first 4 were numbered in succession, but each one after that repeats as Figure 4. The auto numbering format is F:Figure < ><n+>.  The figure numbers are set with a paragraph tag and are placed are in a text frame inside the borders of an anchored frame.

I have tried manually forcing the number of the fifth figure to 5, but the downstream figures remain numbered as Figure 4. I have also tried adding spaces to the grid as in F:Figure < >< ><n+> and F:Figure < >< >< ><n+>, but downstream figures are still numbered as Figure 4. Deleting the text frame for Figure 5 and inserting a new one yields the same results.

Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem and the proper method of correcting it?

I am using Frame 7.0 and a Windows XP operating system on a PC.

Howard Rauch

Technology Transfer, Inc.
"Linking Creators and Users of Technology"
933 North 18th Street
Manitowoc WI 54220
Office: 920-682-1528
Cell: 920-629-0080