Running headers calling on formatted variables

Baruch Brodersen Baruch.Brodersen at bigbandnet.com
Thu Aug 14 10:36:28 PDT 2008

Yves and Mathieu,

Unfortunately you can only apply color to an entire running header-footer. It is possible though to create the effect you're after, but you have to sacrifice using a user-defined variable in the heading. Since you only occasionally need it, it might be feasible.

I'm sending a sample .fm file in a separate mail since what is described below is a little complex.

1. Create <blue> and <purple> character formats.
2. Create four paragraph formats based on Heading1:

ProductNameHeading1 = Heading1 As Is + Runin Head, empty space punct.
ProductName1  = Heading1 AsIs + color Blue + Runin Head
ProductName2  = Heading1 AsIs + color Purple + Runin Head, 1 empyt space punct.
AfterProdName3 = Heading1 AsIs (no runin head)

3. In your header use four variables in your header:
 Running H/F 2	<$paratext[Heading1,ProductNameHeading1]> + 1 empty space
 Running H/F 5	<blue><$paratext[ProductName1]>
 Running H/F 6	<purple><$paratext[ProductName2]> + 1 empty space
 Running H/F 7	<$paratext[AfterProdName3]>

This will create a Heading 1 look-a-like that will include a two-color product name in both the heading and header. One problem remains however, and that is that you have to dispose of the text in Running H/F 5-7 with the next appearance of a stand alone Heading 1. To do that:

4. Create an anchored frame in the next Heading 1. Position the frame so outside the column. Inside the frame draw a textbox with three empty paragraph. Apply the ProductName1, ProductName2, and AfterProdName3 formats to them. That will wash out the Running H/F 5-7 in the Header and leave only Heading 1.

You can copy and paste the anchored frame as many times as you need it, or use AutoText from Silicon Prairie to drop it in whenever needed.

B a r u c h   B r o d e r s e n
T e c h n i t e x t   D o c u m e n t a t i o n   I n c

Yves Barbion wrote:

Hi Mathieu

I guess you are using a character format in the middle of your variable definition, for example <blue>Frame<purple>Maker?

I have tested this and, indeed, some properties of the character format (font family, weight, spread, stretch, superscript) are also displayed in the Running H/F, others are not (font size, color).

Is this a bug or "by design"?

--
Yves Barbion * Managing Director Scripto * Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor www.scripto.nu <http://www.scripto.nu>