Book Generation Error: Printversion Inconsistent

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 19:50:27 PDT 2008

Don Rinderknecht wrote:

> I'm generating a large book. In one of my files I get this error in the
> book error log:
> "Show/Hide setting for PrintVersion is inconsistent."
>
> I can't figure out what causes this one. Any ideas?

It's pretty straightforward.

At least two of the files in your book have a Conditional Text
condition named PrintVersion defined in them. One of them is
the "problem" file, and at least one (but perhaps multiple, or
even all) of the files that precede the problem file also has the condition tag in it.

The error message is telling you that in the problem file the
Show/Hide setting for this condition tag is set to the opposite
state from how it is set in all the preceding instances of the
tag name.  For example, if three of the first eight files in your
book are set to show the PrintVersion condition, the problem
file must be set to hide the condition.

The