PDF setup for LOF links

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Wed Aug 27 08:27:17 PDT 2008

Art is correct about needing to reference a tag that precedes the image
so that the links from the LOF display the target page properly in the
PDF.  We actually were able to convince a client to change their style
to present the title above the image, but as your client rejected that,
you need to handle it differently.

Rene, you don't say how you have the figures inserted in the document,
but if you already use an "anchor" format then Art's answer may be the
best solution if your figure titles are autonumbered  But instead of
setting the anchor paragraph to white, I would set it to a color defined
as invisible (see View > Color Views) to ensure it does not print.
White text may still be seen/selected in the PDF, and I doubt you want
that.

If the titles are not autonumbered (which I certainly do not recommend),
then I would just use the existing Figure Title paragraph and include a
few soft returns.  Place the image below the first line of the paragraph
(otherwise empty save the soft return), and enter the title as you
currently do after the image.  When you generate the LOF, you will just
need to delete the soft returns from the extracted text, which can
easily be automated even through FM's find tool - just be sure to leave
the hypertext marker!

- Lester