Source Control for Frame

Mary Anthony manthony at palantirtech.com
Wed Dec 10 08:01:15 PST 2008

I concur with Mike and Fei Min.  In fact, I've been working with checked in Framemaker files for 15+ years.  So I'm shocked when people don't use source control. Waaaay back in ancient times we used RCS to check in our files which not many people use today. I've used Perforce, Clearcase, CVS, and now SVN. They all work just fine. I'd add to Mike's list:

- Through check in comments you can keep track of what was done on a file.  Really good if you do regular production or template updates.

- Tagging of changes with bug numbers (SVN has a nice interface to JIRA).

- Ability to recover old versions of the documentation if necessary. You can do some labeling or branching of doc files if necessary. Though, branching I don't recommend except in some special cases.

- Incorporate document production directly into the product build.

Framemaker and individual image files are all checked in as is. We don't check-in the individual files that make up ePublisher projects. We zip those projects (just the source not the distribution) and check in the .zip. They of course, do not change as often as the Framemaker source.

If you want to diff two Framemaker versions. Check out the latest version and open an older version from your source control, then use Frame diff. Works fine.

Mary