Re-installing FM 8 onto a new drive ...

Syed.Hosain at aeris.net Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu Dec 11 07:22:26 PST 2008

> I use both FM 7.2 and 8 on the same Vista 32-bit system without
problems.
> I just open the version I want to use first.

Curiosity question: I see a number of people keeping FM7.2 on their
systems. Why? Wouldn't it be simpler to go to FM8 and be done with it? I
don't have a need to send .fm or .book files to people, but if I did, I
could save it in FM7.2 format if needed (as far as I recall) from within
FM 8.

> If you used up both of your activations, you will have a problem. I
had a
> problem starting FM8 under Boot Camp (booting natively into Windows)
and
> then opening the Boot Camp partition via Parallels in that FM8
activated
> both times on my portable. That gave me problems installing it on my
tower
> with a similar Boot Camp/Parallels configuration. A quick call to
Adobe
> reset the activation. I think as long as you are not calling every
week,
> they generally trust the user.

That is what happened to me effectively. I used their licensing approach
to put one copy on my laptop and another on my home PC - where I
occasionally do work on the files (no one else uses either system). This
became a problem when my laptop hard drive became flaky.

> By the way, either a FM update or a Parallels update removed the
problem
> from happening again.

I am not sure I understand this exactly. Do you mean that when you did
an FM update (from like version 8 to version 8.0.1 or later) on an
installations, the activation problem is no longer a problem? How?

> A quick call to Adobe reset the activation. I think as long as you are
not
> calling every week, they generally trust the user.

True. I have been buying FM from them (well, actually Frame Technology
first) since version 3 (on a Sun UNIX platform) way back when,
beta-tested the first Windows release, and have all the license keys
handy to provide if I ever needed to! :)