Re-installing FM 8 onto a new drive ...

David Creamer ideaslists at ideastraining.com
Thu Dec 11 11:55:10 PST 2008

On Syed.Hosain at aeris.net at Syed.Hosain at aeris.net wrote on 12/11/08 7:22 AM:

> Curiosity question: I see a number of people keeping FM7.2 on their
> systems. Why? Wouldn't it be simpler to go to FM8 and be done with it? I
> don't have a need to send .fm or .book files to people, but if I did, I
> could save it in FM7.2 format if needed (as far as I recall) from within
> FM 8.

I'm an Adobe trainer, so I need both versions depending on which version my
client has. I also have InDesign CS2, CS3, and CS4 on my computer too. (The
government is usually the last to upgrade...)

> I am not sure I understand this exactly. Do you mean that when you did
> an FM update (from like version 8 to version 8.0.1 or later) on an
> installations, the activation problem is no longer a problem? How?

I meant that rebooting into Boot Camp and then using Parallels no longer
used up two activations. I don't know if it was a Frame upgrade (8 to 8.01
for example) or a Parallels (3 to 3.188 for example) that stopped the dual
activation--but I can switch between them now without issue.

David Creamer
I.D.E.A.S. Training & Consultation
http://www.IDEAStraining.com
Adobe Certified Trainer for Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign,
InCopy, FrameMaker, Dreamweaver, Premiere, GoLive, and PageMaker
Authorized Quark Training Provider
Enfocus PitStop, Markzware FlightCheck, & FileMaker Authorized Trainer