Paragraph and Character styles in FrameMaker and InDesign

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Fri Dec 12 17:45:34 PST 2008

On 12/12/08, mulholland4 <mulholland4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am going to be using InDesign to produce some docs and was wondering if
>  there is any way of importing the Paragraph and Character styles from my
>  Framemaker 8 docs into InDesign CS4? Although my layout will be radically
>  different in the new docs, it would be useful to be able to reuse content
>  from my Frame docs.
>
>  Thanks
>   Mulholland

You can save the FM file as MS Word and use File > Place in ID to
import the Word file. The formats should be retained. There's a good
chance that cross-references and their formats will survive, too. Not
sure about table formats. Index markers should survive.

If you need to convert or recreate any volume of FM documents in ID,
look into the MIF Filter at dtptools.com that's been mentioned earlier
in this thread. It does a good job of translating MIF files into ID.
There's a free trial. Although it doesn't save until you buy some page
credits, you should be able to copy and paste pieces of the converted
file that contain the FM formats that were converted to ID styles into
a new file.

HTH

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices