How does working with structured Frame differ from regular Frame? (LONG)

quills at airmail.net quills at airmail.net
Mon Dec 15 12:25:07 PST 2008

The answer is many fold, but you should first understand that anytime
you place visual formatting or organization on a document you have
established the basic elements of structuring.

With no expertise or knowledge of structured language, it would be
cheaper, faster, and easier for you to have someone knowledgable
create your DTD and train your staff. The good news is that if all
your people are required to do is implement structured format on
documents, then your effort is much less. Your people will only need
to learn the interface and how to apply formatting, and the rules of
application. Just like you require them to now know the interface of
unstructured FrameMaker and understand your style rules.

Since I have never used footnotes, I can't answer as to the
flexibility of structured footnotes.

The basic thing is that you structure the content, then apply the EDD
to format it for publishing. It's much easier to change your
formatting once the DTD and structure is in place.

The real question is why do your superiors think they need to go
structured? Doing so means that the authors will have to have
structure imposed upon them, they won't have the luxury of freeform.

Also understand that your DTD must reflect your needs. Structuring
content means that you are identifying the relationship of the data
to each other. A hierarchy of importance and relationships. Think of
an outline, that's the basic thing you gain from structured
FrameMaker, a standardized way of describing the hierarchy of content
in relationship to other data.

Scott