Frame 8 trial woes

Whites whitefamily at mac.com
Mon Dec 22 16:22:23 PST 2008

Recently (in Frame 7.2) I had a large book with 50+ chapters, minimal
graphics and a total page count of only about 300. I could not
generate a PDF of the whole thing in one shot. I ended up making PDFs
in thirds, then assembling the parts in Acrobat. A hassle, to be
sure. FM was able to generate a complete TOC and index of the beast,
but not a unitary PDF.

will white
monrovia ca

On Dec 22, 2008, at 3:20 PM, Emily Berk wrote:

> I have gone through and saved every chapter individually to
> PDF.  Every single one generated ok.
>
> But then when I try to gen the PDF, it only creates a text file that
> says that it fails on page 49.
>
> Sigh.
>
> This is a HUGE doc.
>
> -- Emily
>
> At 02:21 PM 12/22/2008, Emily Berk wrote:
>> Yeah, there might be some psychotic graphics somewhere.
>>
>> I'm not really familiar with the doc, since I only have seen it for
>> a few hours.
>>
>> I will try to create each chapter into its own PDF as a
>> start.  Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>> It's only time, and -- I read this on a Celestial Seasonings teabag
>> tag:  "When God created time, he created enough of it."  Not that I
>> don't have a bunch of other ways I might want to spend the unlimited
>> time I have.
>>
>> -- Emily
>>
>> At 01:59 PM 12/22/2008, Alan Litchfield wrote:
>>> Timing :(
>>>
>>> First thing I would look for is a corrupt/badly formed graphic file.
>>> If you have any graphics in any specific chapter files, that is.
>>>
>>> So what I'd do:
>>> 1, Try to print each chapter to ps (not direct to pdf) then manually
>>> distill them using Acrobat and see which one(s) fail.
>>> 2, When it/they fail in Acrobat you will see which pages
>>> successfully
>>> completed. The offending graphic(s) will be on the next page
>>> somewhere. You will also get an error log generated, although
>>> sometimes the messages can be somewhat cryptic unless you know what
>>> you are reading.
>>> 3, Remove the suspect(s) and repeat steps 1 and 2 until the file(s)
>>> complete successfully.
>>> 4, Replace or repair the graphics files accordingly.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, if the FM 8 files are operating without
>>> incident on
>>> the source machine and the problem only surfaces on your machine, or
>>> files that have been exported for use on your machine, then are they
>>> using any plug ins that you do not have?
>>>
>>> Alan

>>> --
>>> Alan Litchfield MBus(Hons), MNZCS
>>> AlphaByte
>>> PO Box 1941, Auckland, NZ. 1140
>>> http://www.alphabyte.co.nz
>>>

>> Emily Berk
>> http://www.armadillosoft.com
>
> Emily Berk
> http://www.armadillosoft.com

> whitefamily%40mac.com

First Soviet Citizen: Comrade, what kind of a day is it for you?
Second Soviet Citizen: Average. Worse than yesterday, better than
tomorrow.