Fixing lots of X-refs

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 31 11:18:18 PST 2008

John Sgammato wrote:> A helper, buried under a huge workload, made one little
> mistake - renaming a lot of chapters and their filenames
> to make them easier to follow. Unfortunately, along the
> way a lot of x-ref markers were lost. I don't think there
> is any way to undo that damage, so they just have to
> be re-linked. Only 219 to go!

I'd say that's more than a little mistake. Too bad the "helper"
didn't know enough to do the renaming from the FrameMaker
book file rather than in the file system. It's a slow process,
since FrameMaker winds up doing the equivalent of a book
update each time you change a name, but it's still a *LOT*
faster than having to rebuild all the x-refs that got broken.

-Fred Ridder