How can I Find+Replace local formatting to a (Char) style

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 31 15:53:50 PST 2008

Art Campbell wrote:

> If you re-read the first reply, I said to copy the character style/tag.
>
> That puts it on the clipboard.

What's not obvious to the uninitiated is *how* to copy a character
format. The command to use is Edit>Copy Special>Character Format.
(Lots of apps have a Paste Special command, but a Copy Special
command is pretty unusual.)

But there is a major gotcha to using this approach. The problem is that
the command copies *all* font characteristics of the selection rather
than just the formatting defined in the character tag that you actually
want to apply (much of which may be defined as As Is). For example,
if you apply a character tag to a string in a Body paragraph and then
copy it, when you paste the formatting onto a string in a Figure Caption
paragraph (which is likely to be bold, and possibly a different font and
maybe a different sixe), what you actually get will exactly resemble
the font, size, and formatting from the original Body paragraph.

Happy New Year,-Fred Ridder