How to make a PDF from a Frame book using PDF Converter by Nuance

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 2 01:55:10 PST 2008

Emmy,

Why don't you just use the distiller that comes with FM?  It's on the Frame
CD.  What happened to the copy of Acrobat you were using?  If you still have
it, why not keep on using it?

I have a few thoughts about your penny-wise, pound-foolish purchasing
department, but I don't think most of them are appropriate to state on a
professional list like this.  Instead, I suggest that you get your manager
involved and then your group Director and/or VP.  They can tell purchasing
to buy what you need to do your job.  You are not an Admin or in Accounting
or some department where all they do is write letters and little reports.
Frame and Acrobat are mandatory to do your job adequately.  You need Acrobat
for lots of things besides distilling to PDF.  Reducing file size, checking
links, fixing broken links (on a temp basis of course), possibly cropping
and/or rotating pages, combining PDF files, converting web pages to PDF, and
a bunch of other things that even older versions of Acrobat can do.  Can
this PDF converter do those things?  I'd bet not.

What file formats does PDF converter convert to PDF?  Does it accept .PS
files?  If so, then your could print to postscript and convert those files
to PDF.  Does it accept XML files?  Then save FM as XML and convert.
However before even bothering to do that, find out if PDF converter will
convert the links in the FM files to links in PDF.  I'm talking about the
TOC, Index, Xrefs, etc.  If not, it cannot do what you need.

I would not expect to find any information on PDF converter on the Adobe
website. Go to the Nuance website and see if you can find specs on PDF
Converter?  If they don't list any files that Frame can create (not
necessarily .fm files, but and files Frame can create, download the page
from the website and give it to whoever in your purchasing dept gave you the
wrong information.

Just my 2c worth.

Diane