Working with Images

Dennis Brunnenmeyer dennisb at chronometrics.com
Fri Feb 1 19:34:55 PST 2008

Pete...

Several important rules of thumb here:

1. Never save screen shots as jpg files, especially highly-compressed
ones! They will not look nearly as good as *.bmp files. JPEG
compression will soften the images so that they don't look real, like
they do on the screen when viewed directly. Since you've already
taken the screen shots and saved them, you have your choice of
redoing them or living with the less-than-optimum results.

2. With that many screen shots, do NOT import the graphics INTO the
FrameMaker files. Import them by reference instead. Keep all of your
images in a subfolder of the Frame file folder. When you produce the
PDF or display the file on your monitor, Frame will know what to do,
although I have to tell you that many users are currently having
problems with this process in FM8. A fix is expected (promised,
actually) in the next 8-9 weeks.

3. No, you are not crazy for importing the images at 150 dpi into
anchored frames. If they aren't the right physical size in the
document, resize them within the frame and then "shrinkwrap" the
frame to fit the graphic. To do this, after resizing the image
itself, select the anchored frame and execute this key sequence, one
key at a time:  Esc, m, p.

Cheers...

Dennis Brunnenmeyer
At 01:53 PM 2/1/2008, Pete Rourke wrote:
>Here is another newbie question.
>

>FM8 - XP (importing into anchored frames)
>

>I am using Snagit (default image resolution 96dpi, and saving as .jpg) to
>capture screenshots for a end user manual which assumes the user needs
>visual walkthrough of using a desktop application and a pocket pc.
>
>There are 2 outputs intended:
>
>1.       PDF leveraging all the indexing and cross-referencing
>
>2.       A printed manual
>
>An issue is the volume of screenshots ~ 200 in a ~ 150 page document.
>
>Image files saved as .jpg,  average file size = 44K
>
>So far the total image in the books is 8MB (gag)
>

>So a question is what format, JPG, BMP, PNG, GIF saves the cleanest picture?
>

>During import I choose 150 DPI, am I insane?
>
>I am not sure what resolution is required.  Would less than 96 be
>acceptable?
>

>TIA
>

>Pete Rourke
>
>Chandler, AZ

>or visit
>http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/dennisb%40chronometrics.com
>
>Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com. Visit
>http://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.

Dennis Brunnenmeyer
Director of Engineering
CEDAR RIDGE SYSTEMS
15019 Rattlesnake Road
Grass Valley, CA 95945-8710
Office: (530) 477-9015
Fax:  (530) 477-9085
Mobile: (530) 320-9025
eMail:  dennisb /at/ chronometrics /dot/ com