keep with next para

Wed Feb 6 10:14:00 PST 2008

Stuart Rogers wrote:

> Graeme R Forbes wrote:
> > I have a proof consisting in a sequence of lines across a
> page, each a
> > paragraph, and  each line separated from the next by a shallow
> > anchored frame that contains a separator line. Each
> line/para is set
> > to keep with the next one since the whole proof must display on the
> > same page. However, in order to get one of the lines to fit
> across the
> > page, I had to use a soft return, and FM allows the proof to break
> > across the page at the soft return. Is there some way of preventing
> > this while retaining the soft return, or will I have to use two
> > paragraphs?
> >

> Chiming in late here, but did you ever get a resolution to this?
>
> I don't fully understand how inserting a soft return caused a
> single line to fit across the page -- surely that must have
> resulted in two lines??

I don't understand that either, or the separator lines. But more
fundamentally, if FM is putting in a page break, it's because the entire
proof (all the "keep with next" paragraphs plus whatever follows the
last) *won't fit on one page*. Nothing you do with Keep With and
Widow/Orphan settings will change that.

If you want to avoid a page break, change the pgfs' space above/below,
the line spacing, the anchored frame -- or, heck, change the height of
the text frame. IOW, do something to make it all fit on one page, and FM
won't try to break it across pages.

HTH!
Richard

------