page layout for a double-wide table

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Feb 6 12:15:46 PST 2008

Ben Hechter wrote:
> Just curious, has anyone attempted a 2-page master page layout for a
> lengthy double-wide table? Beyond a compressed landscape format, all
> I can come up with at this point is some sort of artificial 11x17
> page size, but am stumped further...

If I understand correctly, you want a single table to span facing 8.5x11
pages.  If the table is the only thing on only one pair of pages, here's
an idea that is cumbersome to set up and maintain, but might work.

Create the table on an 11x17 landscape layout in its own file.

In your working file, on a left page, create an anchored frame the same
size and position as your text frame.  Within it, create a text frame of
the same dimensions and position.  Put the insertion point in that text
frame and import the table file as an inset.  You now have the left half
of your table on a left page, cropped by the anchored frame.

Repeat the process on the right page.  Select the imported table on that
page and set its Alignment in the Table Designer to Right.  (This is an
override; just Apply, don't Update All.)  You now have the right half of
the table on a right page, cropped by the anchored frame.

Obviously, you'll have to do some playing around with a central table
column with no borders or content, to accommodate the book's gutter.
Also, the autonumbering, if it exists, will increment on the right page.
  You might have to fake the table numbering for your TOC by putting a
titled empty table above the real one, and autonumber the real one with
its own series label that is not used elsewhere, so as not to disrupt
the numbering of other tables in the book.

Caveat: This suggestion is not called "lubrican".  ;-)

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

If it makes things work more easily, why isn't it called lubrican?