Archive searching and moving text inset files

Linda G. Gallagher lindag at techcomplus.com
Mon Feb 11 18:05:44 PST 2008

Framers,

Is it just me? I don't see any search function on the archives page. Even if
I did, searching each month looks rather onerous.

So, I know this has been discussed before, but I've not had to deal with it
before. I'm playing detective and tracking down text inset files several
books for a client. In the first book, I found that the text insets are in
two different folders. With the help of their IT guy, I was able to set it
up so that the book can find the text insets (lots of odd drive mapping).

Ideally, I'd like to rearrange all the inset files, so that they can be
shared across two or more books easily. I know the folder/file structure I
want to use, but I'm wondering about how to get FM to find the insets in
their new location.

I know the manual way (delete the inset and reinsert each one in each file).
Not the route I want to take if I can avoid it.

Can you edit mif files to change the text inset paths? Any gotchas?

I suspect that FrameScript can also do this, right? My client is already
interested in possibly buying it.

On a slightly different tack, can FrameScript automate generating PDFs from
books and placing the resulting PDF in specific folder?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Linda G. Gallagher
TechCom Plus, LLC
lindag at techcomplus dot com
www.techcomplus.com
303-450-9076 or 800-500-3144
User guides, online help, FrameMaker and
WebWorks ePublisher templates