Question about TOC, LOF, LOT

Michael O'Neill moneill at meta-comm.com
Mon Feb 18 14:55:52 PST 2008

Yes LOF and LOT are both examples of front matter, but so is a ToC.

IMHO, the only things (standard elements) that should come before the
ToC are the Cover and the Legal page (if not at the end). Anything else
will likely just be contrary to user expectations.

With that said, there ARE exceptions to every rule, and this may be one
(though on the surface, it doesn't sound like it). Before acquiescing,
I'd ask for a better reason than the "front matter" one.  Perhaps he can
show you some examples of documents (external to your organization) that
are organized his way?

-Michael