Cross References:using text that is not that linked to

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Feb 19 09:38:12 PST 2008

Carrie Baker wrote:
> Frame 7.2
> I am documenting an application with all sorts of reports that can be
> generated and displayed by selecting the appropriate screen in a
> dialog box.
> Each sort of report is described in the documentation with a  heading
> 2 that used to say "The xy Statistics screen" and explains what you do
> with it and available options, explains the meaning of the parameters
> they see etc.
> Now I would like to call all of the headings "Displaying Xy
> Statistics", Displaying z statistics etc.
> The FrameMaker problem I am encountering is that originally at the
> beginning of the section someone had written, "the following screens
> are available and had a list of cross references to all of the titles
> which were each called xy screen etc."
> Now I have changed the title the cross reference to these headings
> will say, the following statistics can be displayed, and say for each
> cross reference "Displaying xy statistics etc."
> I like this list of cross reference as when I convert the files to
> help, they are my hyperlinks, as well as the fact that we distribute
> the documentation as PDFs.
> The question is:
> Can I create a cross reference to somewhere, when the text that
> appears in the cross reference is something that I type in, and not
> the text that appears in Heading 2 (i.e. will say xy statistics, even
> though the header it jumps to is called Displaying xy statistics)?
> thanks

I'm not entirely confident I understand your question, but I'll have a
go at it...

You have a lot of headings of the pattern "Displaying xy statistics" and
you want cross references of the pattern "xy statistics".  Yes?  You
could change the headings to have an autonumber of "Displaying " and in
your cross-ref format, use the <$paratext> building block.  Elsewhere if
you want the full heading referenced, use <$paranum><$paratext>.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

If it makes things work more easily, why isn't it called lubrican?