Tools for converting FM docs to WikiMedia?

William Gaffga WilG at GibbsCAM.com
Wed Feb 20 09:03:29 PST 2008

There isn't really a way to go FM -> Wiki, i.e. there are no tools to do
so easily. You could dump out HTML from FM and just put them in the wiki
but that won't get you the wiki-goodness. We were able to largely
automate the process for our first foray but it was simply an ideal
candidate because the original content was largely uniform and the end
product wiki was template based. I'll summarize below.

We had a book that doc'd commands (roughly 15000 of them) for a
scripting language we use internally for our software. These commands
were in a tabular format. There were of course some paragraphs that came
before the commands in a section, describing their purpose or use, and
there were several chapters that were simply explanatory text. Nothing
complex.

We dumped this stuff out to text files. Wrote a PERL script to identify
the various components and modify the text files. We then wrote another
PERL script to convert that data to include the wiki template
information. We then populated the wiki and made many manual changes. In
total, the project took about 4 weeks including planning, which included
deciding which wiki format we needed.

So, this is possible but that strictly depends on your content, and it
will require extra knowledge on your end.

Hope that helps.

Will.
--
Will. Gaffga