cross reference vs variables

Owen, Clint Clint.Owen at craneaerospace.com
Wed Feb 20 13:45:10 PST 2008

Deidra,

There are at least two ways to set it up that will accomplish the same
thing.

1. Define the variables you need in the Title Chapter, then import them
into all of the other chapters. Insert the variables themselves wherever
you need them. When a change is needed, change the variables in the
Title chapter and import them into the rest of the chapters again.

2. Define the variables in the Title chapter as before. Insert each one
at least once in a paragraph by itself in the Title chapter, even on a
master page that you never use. In the paragraph with each variable,
insert a cross-reference marker. In each place you need the text
cross-reference back to the appropriate marker. If you change one of the
variable definitions, all the other instances will update when the book
is updated.

Clint Owen
Technical Publications
Crane Aerospace & Electronics