Scripting pulling FM files from version control and creating PDFs

FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com
Thu Feb 21 03:33:05 PST 2008

Hi Linda:

I'm doing something similar except I haven't got the version control
system part yet. I'm assured by the software guys that I can do this.
We're using the Python scripting language and the FDK.

As for generating PDFs, we had that bad link problem unless we used the
"Create Named Destinations" check box. However, the files were so bloated
that we would have to open the files in Acrobat after and do a bunch of
things, including setting security. We tried using AutoIT for that, but it
was pretty unstable because it's mimicking keystrokes and it depends on
the focus staying on Acrobat while it does its thing. Sometimes it didn't
work and with no changes to the code, sometimes it would. Then we
discovered Microtype's Timesavers to unbloat the files and we didn't have
to get into AutoIT at all. What a relief! Oh, and using AutoIT would also
have tied us to a version of Acrobat because different versions might use
different keystrokes to do the same thing; unless we wanted to rewrite the
code whenever we upgraded.

Hope that helps.

Fei Min
Fei Min Lorente
Senior Technical Communicator
AMI Semiconductor Canada Company
Tel: +1.519.884.9696 ext.2297
Fax: +1.519.884.0228
Cell phone: +1.519.831.4931
Email address: feimin_lorente at amis.com
Internet: http://www.amis.com
AMI Semiconductor - "Silicon Solutions for the Real World"
NOTICE:
This electronic message contains information that may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the copy you received.