Color Output From Frame

Jacob Schäffer js at grafikhuset.dk
Thu Feb 28 12:55:44 PST 2008

Framers,

Framemaker 8 still rely on the Windows GDI or GDI+ kernel as most Windows applications do. This approach has a fantastic benefit: Speed. Especially speed in regard to application performance.

Windows GDI or GDI+ are RGB or sRGB devices. This mean that Windows in general will work in 3 component subtractive color spaces such as RGB instead of 4 component additive color spaces such as CMYK. Although it's possible to configure color management in Windows you will NOT be able to define a CMYK color in Framemaker that will preserve its CMYK values  as you defined them downstream. Even more impossible it would be to preserve SPOT colors as you define them.

I have developed a solution that works fantastic in regard to precise *repair* conversion. It's called Grafikhuset Publi PDF with optimizer plug-in (http://www.grafikhuset.net/publipdf/tech_components_optimizer_plugin.html).

However, I wouldn't dream of selling it to users that are satisfied with the Distiller built-in 'Convert All Colors to CMYK', since such users are simply not demanding enough in regard to color fidelity to qualify as Publi PDF Optimizer users. Such users automatically accept that a CMYK definition in Framemaker will be totally molestrated by conversion processes they don't control. Fine with me, but bear in mind that automatic CMYK -> RGB -> CMYK conversions are quite lossy, especially with colors that originally contained a Black component. In practise this K component will often end on the Y plate, but what the heck, it's CMYK :-)

If you can live with that feel free to do so!

The thing is, that CMYK or SPOT colors defined in Framemaker will print as RGB and the Distiller built-in 'Convert All Colors to CMYK' will POTENTIALLY not bring back the *correct* CMYK values and DEFINITELY not the SPOT color values -- not even their CMYK counterparts.

Grafikhuset Publi PDF is a quite expensive, but extremely reliable and fast solution to this specific color problem. With Grafikhuset Publi PDF you can setup color maps that *precisely* converts the Framemaker/GDI generated RGB to CMYK or SPOT as you originally defined in Framemaker and/or any imported EPS art (be careful with imported PDF art -- you may loose SPOT colors on-the-go).

To understand the problem better, please see my article on the subject »Difficult PDF documents in prepress«: http://www.grafikhuset.net/publipdf/whitepaper_difficult_pdf_documents.html

To download a fully functioning 30-day live trial: http://www.grafikhuset.net/publipdf/download.htm.

Quite a few Publi PDF users already monitor the FrameUsers e-mail list. Feel free to speak up with your track record/experience with Grafikhuset Publi PDF.

Best regards
Jacob Schäffer  |  Chief Developer
Grafikhuset (House of Graphics)
Paradis Allé 22, Ramløse