Text string in title case?

Paul Findon pfindon at infopage.net
Fri Feb 29 08:33:13 PST 2008

Hi Tina,

This is impossible with FrameMaker alone. I thought perhaps Spell
Catcher could handle it, as it does have commands for changing case
to Title style, but even that simply capitalises the first letter of
each word.

A job for AppleScript perhaps? (NG to you unless you use Mac
FrameMaker.)

I found a script at <http://bbs.applescript.net/viewtopic.php?
id=13297> that, in addition to changing case to Title style, can also
set a bunch of specified definite and indefinite articles,
conjunctions, and prepositions that don't start a sentence to
lowercase. Something the script author has called "Mixed" style.

I'm not a programmer, but with a little head scratching, I managed to
edit this script so that it searches an open FrameMaker document and
changes all paragraphs tagged "Heading1" or whatever you like to
Mixed style. Works a treat!

Incidentally, for Title style (or what CMOS calls "Headline" style),
do you follow the Microsoft style of not capitalising prepositions of
four or fewer letters. Or Apple's style of not capitalising
prepositions of three or fewer letters. Or CMOS's recommendation of
lowercasing prepositions regardless of length?

Styles - you gotta love 'em.

Paul