Unavailable fonts issue

Diane Schaefer dschaefer at sandvine.com
Thu Jan 3 00:49:57 PST 2008

Hi Isabelle,

I recently made an amazing discovery regarding elusive, unavailable
fonts:

If you copy and paste non-Frame, non-HTML information into your
(unstructured, 7.2) Frame document, the information is copied into a
text frame. In my documents, and perhaps in yours, the font specified is
Times New Roman, which isn't in my font repertoire. Hence the
unavailable fonts.

Of course we are supposed to import text from Word and the like, but
sometimes I want to take a shortcut and paste in Word snippets to
rewrite. More heinous, now that my Outlook has been updated to 2007, I
find that text snippets from HTML (or even RTF) emails, which I often
would copy and use verbatim, can no longer be pasted directly into
Frame, but cause the same problem.

The work around for the text snippets, to avoid those awful unavailable
font popups, is to open an HTML editor such as Dreamweaver, paste to an
HTML file, deselect and reselect the text, copy and paste into Frame. (I
used to used Outlook 2003 to do this sometimes, but even this pleasure
is now denied me.)

The only work-around I've found to get rid of these unavailable fonts is
to use the Remember Missing Font Names option under
File>Preferences>General. You may have to save, close, reselect or
deselect, then perform the procedure again a few times before the
problem is solved.

HTH,
Diane

Diane Schaefer
Senior Technical Writer
Sandvine Technologies Ltd.
dschaefer at sandvine.com
tel. 972-2-540-090, ext. 125

---------
Hi Framers,

I'm sure this is a very novice question, but I need some help.

I'm running Windows XP (SP2), using unstructured FrameMaker 7.2.

Even though I've checked all the paragraph and character tags for stray
fonts and have generated a list of fonts for each file, I get a
"Document named xxx uses unavailable fonts..." message. The console
displays a font that I know is nowhere in my documents, so how do I get
rid of this pop-up? The more important issue is that because the
documents are reformated on opening because of substitution of fonts, I
get unresolved cross-references alerts on good refs every time I reopen
saved files.