different page numbering for the same files

Mon Jan 7 07:22:03 PST 2008

Leah Smaller wrote:

> I have 2 books where book 1 uses files 1 - 10 and book 2 uses
> some of the same files (let's say files 5 - 7).
>
> I want to set up the books (files) so that in book 1 all the
> pages are numbered consecutively, starting from page 1 in
> file 1.  Thus the first page in file 5 will be, for instance,
> page 35.
>
> I also want the pages in book 2 to start from 1; here file 5
> needs to start at page 1.
>
> How can I set up the numbering so this happens automatically
> and the page number in files 5 - 7 are appropriate in each
> book without requiring human intervention.

File 5 doesn't "know" its starting page number in book 1 until you
update book 1. After all, you could have added/removed pages or whole
chapters before it since the last time the book was updated. When you
update book 1, of course, then file 5 "knows" the correct starting
number for _that_ book.

But FM files don't contain a record of what books they're part of and
where they belong in the book (understandably, IMHO). So file 5
"remembers" its book 1 starting number until you open book 2 and update
that. Then, file 5 is handed a new starting page number, and it
"forgets" the one it had before.

So, getting a book's pagination correct (not to mention its generated
lists) if it shares files with another book _requires_ that you update
the book. To do that without human intervention, I'd suggest scripting
it with FrameScript.

HTH!
Richard

------