can't print to PDF

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Wed Jan 9 13:47:27 PST 2008

Hi Jon

Check that you've got a FILE: port in your printer settings. Updating
Acrobat can kill it, and FM can't make PDFs without it.

1.	From the Start menu select Settings > Printers and Faxes.
2.	In the Printers and Faxes window, right-click on any printer and
select Properties.
3.	In the Properties dialog, select the Ports tab. Write down the
port that the printer is currently using.
4.	Look for FILE: in the port list.
5.	If it is not there, click the Add Port… button.
6.	In the Printer Ports dialog, select Local Port from the
Available port types list and click New Port…
7.	In the Port Name dialog, enter "FILE:" (in uppercase, without
the quotes) and click OK.
8.	Click OK to close the Printer Ports dialog.
9.             The printer will probably now be using the FILE: port.
Change it back to its original port.
9.	Click OK to close the Properties dialog.
10.	Close the Printers and Faxes window.

Cheers, Rebecca

>>> "Art Campbell" <art.campbell at gmail.com> 10/01/08 02:05 >>>
Jon,
Have these files ever worked, or do other files or other applications
work?

Art

On Jan 8, 2008 6:19 PM, Jon Harvey <JHarvey at cambridgesoft.com> wrote:
> Everyone,
>

> Who knows how many times this subject has been introduced but here's
my
> spin on the problem.
>

> I'm on FM 7.2 and Acrobat 7.0 for Windows. I am trying to print to
PDF
> but the files get no further than just appearing in the printer cue
> (control panel>printers and faxes>{choose your printer}). FM doesn't
ask
> where I want to save the PDF and the distiller doesn't appear to
come
> close to firing up. I don't know what I could have done to screw up
my
> settings but I can't seem to figure out what to do to get it back to
> where it was. As a symptom, FM flashes through the status bar and
page
> numbers as if it is printing to a regular printer even tho it isn't
and
> Adobe PDF is selected as the printer.
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Jon Harvey
>
> Manager, Desktop Documentation
>
> CambridgeSoft Corporation
>
> 100 CambridgePark Drive
>
> Cambridge, MA 02140
>
> (617) 588-9354

Art Campbell
art.campbell at gmail.com
Vincent
                             No disclaimers apply.
                                     DoD 358

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.