Converting Framemaker to Word

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Thu Jan 10 03:10:27 PST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:52:21 +0200, Shmuel Wolfson <sbw at actcom.com>
wrote:

>I also recommend Mif2Go.

Thank you!

>However, Mif2Go will only insert cross-references as plain text.

Not so!  They become bookmarks and bookmark-references, emulating
the Frame usage of <$paratext>, <$paranum>, and <$paranumonly>
precisely (Word has no equivalent for these).  We also wrap them
as Word hyperlinks by default.  You can turn off all this, or any
part of it, but that's your choice.

>If you need to continue working on the files in Word, you should
>insert those manually.

No, you can work with them fine, if you need to, but you shouldn't
have to.  If you change the source para text or number, the xref
changes, just like it should, after you update all fields.

>Also, you should get someone to help you with setting up Mif2Go.
>It's not highly intuitive, IMHO.

That varies.  Some people tell us they have a deliverable result,
a Word RTF file, 15 minutes after downloading the software.  It
depends on whether you used Frame features that Word cannot match.
We emulate a *lot*, including autonumbers using SEQ fields, but
there are limits, notably in header/footer usages.

>Once it's set up, it works very fast and does a good job.

Thanks again!  ;-)