The dreaded Internal Error error meets the dreaded Adobesupport, sigh

Mike Wickham mewickham at compuserve.com
Wed Jan 16 11:45:56 PST 2008

> What finally SEEMS to have fixed the problem for me (crossing fingers,
> knocking on wood, hoping that Murphy's Law will not now extract a
> horrible vengeance) is the suggestion about deleting the FNTCACHE.DAT
> file in the C:\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32 folders. I haven't figured
> out a way to automate this yet, but I did create some shortcuts to the
> relevant directories so I can Eradicate the Evil Badness when necessary.

Create a plain text file containing the following lines:

@echo off
REM Delete fntcache.dat
del c:\windows\system32\fntcache.dat
REM Restart Windows in two seconds
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 02

Name the file with a .BAT extension and place it on your desktop.
Double-clicking the file will run it.

I'm not sure it's necessary to remove the fntcache.dat file in C:\i386, but
if you also want to do it, use this file text instead:

@echo off
REM Delete fntcache.dat
del c:\windows\system32\fntcache.dat
del c:\i386\fntcache.dat
REM Restart Windows in two seconds
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 02

Mike Wickham