Frame Tables to Excel

Petersen, Oran C oran.c.petersen at boeing.com
Fri Jan 18 08:29:57 PST 2008

Howard Rauch <techtransfer at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Frame Files to Excel
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com

I have a client who has a pretty hot fire. I need to find a way to
convert about 50 tables developed in FrameMaker to Excel spreadsheets.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

>From Oran Petersen
Ans: I just opened a Frame file with 18 tables spanning 26 pages. I
drag-selected the heading rows, which grabbed all of the body cells as
well, did a standard copy, opened Excel, and pasted.
I got a spreadsheet with each table column in an Excel column. Worked
perfectly, took seconds.
The caveat is that the Frame tables are considerably more capable than
the Excel spreadsheet with respect to straddle and multiple paragraphs
in one cell. Even those converted directly into Excel quite nicely
within the limits of Excel. The issue is that multiple paragraphs in
other than the left cell are pushed to the left cell, misaligning the
data. This happens regardless of the format that you use (Frame, text,
etc.) to build the spreadsheet. But if you have clean tables without
straddles or multiple paragraphs per cell, copy/paste should work fine.
I used Frame 7.1 and Excel 2003 for the test.
Oran