Screencaps with multiple outputs

pxenson at comcast.net pxenson at comcast.net
Tue Jan 22 13:11:27 PST 2008

Hi -

I have a client using FrameMaker 7.2 on Windows XP. They're using SnagIt to create screencaps of application screens and windows. They output to the following:

- printed book
- PDF posted online that user can view or print (This is the same PDF sent to press)
- HTML via Webworks

They want the screencaps to be clear and readable in all outputs. I've found I get the clearest images when capturing at screen resolution (96 dpi) and importing to FM at the same resolution. The trouble is the images are fairly large in the book/PDF versions and much too large in HTML. However, scaling at any point in the operation reduces clarity.

The client is absolutely opposed to creating multiple screencaps and using conditional text for the various outputs.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Pat Christenson