Alphabetizing a generated list of Figures or Tables

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Jan 23 13:05:13 PST 2008

Pete Rourke wrote:
> FM8 Windows XP
>

> I started from the book add>List of > Figures using the paragraph tag,
> Caption, but I have not figured out how to put this into the reference page
> (like what the standard index does) to do the alphabetical sorting.
>

> Is there a special marker for figures?
>

> I have 2 pages of 2 col generated List of figures (screenshots) and when
> indexed are sorted in the order of the pages in the book.
>

> Is there a way to have them appear alphabetically like the generated regular

Others have already replied with lots of good advice.  I'll just add
that a work-around, if you want to sort the list you have, would be to
convert it to a table, one cell per paragraph, and then sort the table.
  It's a maintenance headache of course, nothing automated about it, but
it would accomplish what you ask.

best,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

If it makes things work more easily, why isn't it called lubrican?