Frame Bug in Index of Markers--disappearing index entries

Tina Ricks kristina.ricks at verizon.net
Sun Jan 27 16:37:26 PST 2008

Hi all,

I've been chasing this bug for weeks, and I just tracked down exactly what
causes it. Has anyone seen this? Sorry for the long explanation. I'm using
Frame 8. Maybe that's the problem.

I'm creating a bibliography for a legal textbook, using a custom marker type
and the Index of Markers feature.

If I have two identical markers (the same work cited in two places) then in
my index of markers file I get:

Duck, Donald, An Illustrated History of Disney, Disney Press (2000)..... 25,
106

(all is good so far)

In the actual marker, I'd type:

Duck, Donald, <Small Caps>An Illustrated History of Disney,<Default Para
Font> Disney Press (2000)

If I have several markers with the following conditions:

--Identical first two letters (so they all alphabetize together)

--I use a character format at the beginning of the marker (for, say, the
title of an article with no author cited)

Then all the markers with the identical first two letters "stack up"
underneath the first, as if they were identical. So instead of:

Encarta World English Dictionary (etc.) .... 155

End of an Era? The Enron Verdict (etc.).....200

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (etc.)...225

(all of these also have character formatting at the beginning of the marker,
following the legal Blue Book citation standards)

I actually get:

Encarta World English Dictionary...... 155, 200, 225

When I "follow" the links for the other two page numbers back to their
source markers, they are NOT the same as the one they stack up underneath.

If I take the character formatting out of the markers, it all works fine. If
I use character formatting later on in the marker (plain text for the first
2-3 words, formatted after), all is fine.

I've spent endless amounts of time tracking this down. I've written all
files out to mif and back. (Thanks to Frank Stearns at IXGen for that
suggestion). I deleted all the bibliography markers and in the process of
re-entering them, I figured this out. it has to do with character formatting
and identical first two (or more) letters.

Also, for whatever it's worth, this document originated in Word, and I
imported it into Frame.

Does anyone know of a workaround? Or am I stuck with no formatting in parts
of my bibliography? Do I go back to Frame 7?

Tina Ricks

kristina.ricks at verizon.net