Importing Ventura files

Jim Owens jowens at magma.ca
Thu Jul 3 06:34:18 PDT 2008

What version of Ventura are you trying to import from?  Do you have a
copy of Ventura so that you can export the files to other formats?

I don't know if Corel changed the model, but Ventura 3 used source
files that were in the formats of various other applications, such as
Word or Wordstar.  If you opened the files in their native application,
you could work with the Ventura markup directly.  For example, if you
wanted to tag a paragraph as "Heading1", you would simply prefix the
paragraph with "@Heading1 = " in Wordstar, and then import the saved
file into Ventura.

Ventura could also export the files to various native formats, including
ASCII text format. To import a Ventura document into Frame, you had to
export its files to ASCII text format first.

Try opening the .CHP file in a text editor to see what graphics and text
files it calls. Then try opening the text files in their native format
(if you have Wordstar or whatever), or importing them into Word. If they
are marked up as I describe, you may be able to export them from the
native application to ASCII text, and import the resulting text files
into Frame.

I tried importing my Ventura docs when I switched to Frame (about the
same time I gave up on OS/2), but I was not impressed with Frame's
import capability. I ended up creating a script in the Rexx programming
language that get about 80 per cent of the work done. They require that
you set up some mapping files to assign the Ventura tags to  Frame tags.
You also have to create a MIF "stub" containing your Frame template.
Then you just run the program from a command line using a free Rexx
interpreter. The script generates a MIF file.

If I can be of further help, feel free to contact me off-list.