weird symbols in front of my Chapter Titles

Deirdre Reagan deirdre.reagan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 07:50:48 PDT 2008

Hi all:

What's so strange is that the TOC hyperlinks to all the chapter
titles, but not all the chapter titles in the actual chapter have the
marker in front of them.

What I've been able to discover that that two of the original files --
the one I renamed and the one I used to create three new chapters --
have a marker, as do the three new chapters I created.

The original file that I renamed had the box marker.  The renamed file
now has the T marker.

The original file that I copied has the box marker.  Two of the three
files that I created by copying the original file also have the box
marker, but one has the T marker.

The paragraph tag is the same in all cases -- Chapter Title.  The
marker didn't stay consistent in the case of the renamed chapter, and
the marker didn't copy consistently in the case of the three copied
files.

As far as I've been able to discern, the white box and the T are both
hyperlink markers.  Presumably the different markers indicate some
difference, but I don't know what the difference it.  And, I've just
noticed that one of other files has the white box both at the start
*and* the end of the file.  I'm not even going to go there!

I think I'm creating a tempest in a teacup, here, since the document
runs just fine, but when one of the tech writers used the template two
weeks ago, one of the chapters appeared as the *old* chapter, that I
renamed -- both the chapter title *and* the file name.  I have no idea
where it came from, and I'm afraid the marker, since it points to the
old file, is pulling the old file from an entirely different folder.
I haven't been able to duplicate that problem, so I don't know what
happened there.

Fred is right; I don't want to be deleting these markers without
knowing what their function is.  Hence, these emails.  But I'm also
running experiements to find out what does happen when I delete these
markers.  I'll be sure to let you all know if I find out anything
else.

Thanks, Peter, for the info about how to delete the marker with the
marker dialog box open.  Also, I have consulted online Help,
Publishing Fundamentals (O'Keefe), Classroom in  Book, and FrameMaker
User Guide, and haven't so far found what the white box means.

I really appreciate everyone's feed back.

Deirdre