TOC within a chapter

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 07:00:30 PDT 2008

Rick has a good point here, and this brings us to the discussion about the
hidden costs of (doing things manually to create and update) technical
documentation and return on investment (ROI).

You can do the math: 1 tech writer creating, updating and checking all the
local TOCs once in 1 book (of 10 chapters on average) = <n> minutes x $<n>
per minute (the tech writer's rate or wage cost). Multiply this by the
number of books, or by the number of updates per book. You'll have ROI after
less than 10 updates (or books) already.

--
Yves Barbion • Managing Director Scripto • Adobe-Certified FrameMaker
Instructor