FM8 benefits

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 12:18:17 PDT 2008

Hi All,

I am working up a justification for a client to move from FM 7.2 to FM 8.0. Theirs is an unstructured FM environment with a shared-file architecture that uses a lot of text insets and condition tags and variables. I have told them that FM 8 would greatly simplify their condition catalog due to the use of boolean expressions to show/hide conditions, which would eliminate a lot of their "x+y" tags. But, since they already got the unlimited undo (well, more or less) in FM 7, they're not convinced that just the boolean conditions would be sufficient to justify the expense. I'm wondering if there's something else I'm missing, like being able to apply conditions to a column at a time, rather than just complete rows or text within a table cell...? Maybe there's something better about how FM 8 handles text insets?

It would help, I think, if they were a structured shop, because it seems most of the FM 8 benefits are targeted to the structured use of FM...but I'm happy to be corrected!

Thanks,

Rene L. Stephenson