Overrides a necessary evil?

martin.smith at golehtek.com martin.smith at golehtek.com
Wed Jul 9 14:09:38 PDT 2008

Hi Kristy,

I get around the pagination issue in my structured documents by adding
a "pagination" attribute to my section elements that includes the
choices Top_Of_Page and Top_Of_Column. This allows me to start any
section at the top of a page or column if necessary.

Context-based formatting rules in the EDD detect the value of the
pagination attribute and set the pagination properties of the
corresponding heading paragraph accordingly.

You can use this technique to gain fine control over any
layout-specific properties in structured documents.

I also find this technique useful to swap out the graphical icons
associated with warnings, cautions, notes, and tips. I also use this
technique to control alignment in table cells. I have also added
attributes to the root element of a chapter to toggle
branding-specific color schemes throughout the entire document.

Best regards,

Martin

Martin R. Smith
www.golehtek.com