Floating figures and tables was RE: question about overrides

JIm Owens jowens at magma.ca
Fri Jul 11 15:29:17 PDT 2008

 Floating figures and tables are useful for automating page breaks,
but I too have encountered people who insist that the figure must
always immediately follow the reference. Can anyone help me understand
where this rule originated?
 In Framemaker, setting them up requires a bit more effort.  To save
time, I would usually create a new figure exhibit by copying and
pasting an existing one, replacing the image, and manually resizing
the figure frame.
 On Fri 11/07/08  5:44 PM , "Mike Bradley" mbradley at techpubs.com
sent:
 If I'm writing a typical user manual, my preferred solution for
pagination
 overrides is to float tables and figures. Floating rarely produces
pagination
 problems--that's the main purpose of floating, as far as I can tell.
I give
 tables and figures numbered titles and I'm careful to cite each one
in the text,
 whether by Xref alone or with an explanation of their contents, so
that the
 reader can find it (floating is an option for tables but not frames,
so I put
 all graphics in tables).
 Some clients are uncomfortable with floating. They insist that the
table or
 figure must appear directly before or after the text to which they
refer, but
 I've never had a user complain about it. Floating moves the table
only a page
 away.
 = Mike Bradley
   www.techpubs.com