need IBM Stryle Guide reference

Syed.Hosain at aeris.net Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Mon Jul 21 12:59:49 PDT 2008

Hi, Jim.

I do not have the IBM style Guide, but some other references below ...
hope this helps.

Both "The Chicago Manual of Style, 14th Edition" and the "MLA Style
Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing" are silent on the topic of
gerunds. At least, there is no index entry for gerund. (MLA = Modern
Language Association of America.)

But the "Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publishing, 3rd
Edition" says:

	Use a gerund (-ing form) rather than an infinitive (to form) in
titles of procedural topics, especially in print. After some brief
context-setting information to help the reader decide if she has found
the right topic, the heading that introduces the procedure itself should
be an infinitive phrase.

	Style of indexed keywords
	Follow most of the same general style guidelines as those used
for printed indexes:
	* Use gerunds (the -ing form) rather than infinitives (the to
form) or the present tense of verbs for task-oriented entries, unless
they are unsuitable, as they may be for languages, systems, or localized
versions.
	* Avoid generic gerunds that users are unlikely to look up:
using, changing, creating, getting, making, doing, and so on.

Also, separately (not what you asked about though), I have concerns
about using gerunds in body since they can change the meaning of the
text - and can be particularly confusing for non-native English readers.
So, "use them very sparingly in body text" is my approach.