question about usage

Robert Shelton rshelton at opentext.com
Wed Jul 23 14:28:51 PDT 2008

In my somewhat limited experience, yes, this usage is widespread. That
doesn't make it right. I think it's mostly just people trying to sound
technical and fancy. If you're writing for programmers, maybe. If you're
writing for a non-technical audience, I would use "number" and "letter."
And for "alphanumeric characters," I would say "letters or numbers." But
that may just be me.

Bob

HF: "So what do we do?"
PH: "Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well."
HF: "How?"
PH: "I don't know. It's a mystery."
--Shakespeare in Love