pulling an image from an FM file

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Sun Jun 1 18:53:36 PDT 2008

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 21:13:06 -0400, Ken Poshedly <poshedly at bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>I could have sworn I saw this mentioned here at at least one time in
>the past, but don't remember how long ago, but how to extract -- if
>possible-- an embedded image from an FM file. (This is what I was
>given to work with.)
>
>It's either do that, edit it and then re-import it or ele scan in a
>hardcopy and save it as tif and go from there.

Yes.  We posted this info here May 2, in response to a similar query.
Mif2Go can do that for you, and it works fine with the demo version;
you don't have to buy it:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm

The process is described in the User's Guide, par. 29.2.3, "Exporting
and converting embedded graphics".  It works best if the image is alone
in its anchored frame; then you get the original format at full original
resolution back.  You do *not* get the original name, because Frame does
not store it; yet another reason never to embed graphics.

Worst case, Mif2Go exports the graphic at screen resolution, in the
format you select (usually GIF or JPEG), using Frame's native graphic
export filters.  In that case, callouts, montages, etc., are retained,
but the resolution is generally much worse than the original was.

HTH!