Printing Error with FM

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Tue Jun 3 22:52:12 PDT 2008

What is not clear from your description is exactly WHAT you are referencing
in your FrameMaker documents. If you are referencing a .AI file, you are in
effect referencing a PDF 1.3 file; FrameMaker really knows nothing about
the Illustrator document format but rather is able to convert the PDF inside
a .AI file saved with the PDF compatibility option to EPS when importing;
that's what really happens.

Thus, what probably happened was the equivalent of placing an EPS file with
PostScript 3 constructs into your FramMaker document. When you printed directly
from FrameMaker, the PostScript 3 is what choked your printer. Of course,
if you created PDF and printed from that (by the way, a much better solution
in general than EVER printing directly from FrameMaker!!!!), as you found,
Acrobat (or Reader) has the smarts to downgrade to PostScript language level 2
constructs as necessary for your PostScript Level 2 device.

Here are your alternatives:

(1)     Continue what you are doing and always print from Acrobat or Reader
instead of FrameMaker (not a bad choice in the general case -- this is
something I personally do with most all applications these days! I get to
see on-screen what I will print and do some cursory pre-flight to avoid
wasted printing).

(2)     Save your Illustrator documents as EPS language level 2 and import
those into FrameMaker instead. This will pessimize things such as gradients,
but otherwise you should be OK.

(3)     There is a maker.ini setting for controlling the conversion of PDF
to EPS (I don't have a reference with me for the exact setting). Change that
to indicate PostScript language level 2 instead of 3 (ironically, I thought
that the default for that was 2, not 3!)

(4)     Go out and buy a new printer. If you are happy with the printer you
currently have, this is the most ridiculous solution!

Personally, I'd go with solution (1).

        - Dov