Strange Frame to PDF problem

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Jun 4 13:34:02 PDT 2008

Flato, Gillian wrote:
> I have found that if I have a Frame file that contains a very long name,
> or if it is buried deep in a network path (folder within a folder within
> a folder etc.) that I can't build a PDF. I get a message that Distiller
> can't open the *.tps file. If I move the Frame file to my C: drive and
> shorten the name, then I can build a PDF. Does anyone know the path
> limitations of Acrobat?

 From Microsoft ( http://tinyurl.com/5cwk6t )

Maximum Path Length

In the Windows API (with some exceptions discussed in the following
paragraphs), the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined
as 260 characters. A local path is structured in the following order:
drive letter, colon, backslash, components separated by backslashes, and
a terminating null character. For example, the maximum path on drive D
is "D:\<some 256 character path string><NUL>" where "<NUL>" represents
the invisible terminating null character for the current system
codepage. (The characters < > are used here for visual clarity and
cannot be part of a valid path string.)

Note  File I/O functions in the Windows API convert "/" to "\" as part
of converting the name to an NT-style name, except when using the "\\?\"
prefix as detailed in the following sections.

The Windows API has many functions that also have Unicode versions to
permit an extended-length path for a maximum total path length of
approximately 32,000 characters. This type of path is composed of
components separated by backslashes, each up to 255 characters in
length. To specify an extended-length path, use the "\\?\" prefix. For
example, "\\?\D:\<very long path>". (The characters < > are used here
for visual clarity and cannot be part of a valid path string.)

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

Lucy: Charlie Brown, life is like a deck chair on a cruise ship.
Passengers open up these canvas deck chairs so they can sit in the sun.
Some people place their chairs facing the rear of the ship so they can
see where they've been. Other people face their chairs forward -- they
want to see where they're going. On the cruise ship of life, which way
is your deck chair facing?

Charlie Brown: "I've never been able to get one unfolded."

-- Charles Schulz