How to include font size indicator on formatting toolbar

Fri Jun 6 10:34:37 PDT 2008

Duncan, Gary wrote:

> No, I mean how do you include the font size indicator in the
formatting
> bar. My colleague has everything up to the paragraph tag indicator. My
> tool bar shows the font size directly to the right of that field. I
> couldn't find a way to customize the tool bar to include that.

FM's toolbars, menus, and commands are specified in plain text
configuration files and relatively easy to customize. See
Customizing_Frame_Products.pdf in your FM installation's OnlineManuals
directory.

The first thing you may want to do is check the [Files] section of
maker.ini to see if a custom toolbar configuration file has been
installed. Something like this:

ToolBarIniFile=fminit\configui\PolycomFMToolbr.ini

Open either your custom toolbar file, if any, or the default
(FMToolbr.ini) and find the [Ribbon Bar] section. Mine (FM 7.2) looks
like this (I've disabled ad hoc formatting controls):

[RibbonBar]
HEIGHT=26
Y_OFFSET=1
AlignmentPopup=Off
SpacingPopup=Off
TabWell=On
ParaFormatPalette=On
CharFormatPalette=On
FontChoice=Off
SizePopup=Off
CopySpecial=On
Repeats=On
AlignWell=Off
SpacingWell=Off

The order is unchanged from the default, so in a standard FM 7.2
install, the font size list should follow the font list, not the pgf tag
list.

In any case, if SizePopup=Off, change it to On, save, and start/restart
FM. That should restore the control. If SizePopup is already On, then
... you got me, something's wrong somewhere. :-}

Personally, I think you're better off with that control -- and many
others -- turned off. You shouldn't be applying alignment, font, size,
line spacing, bold, italic, etc., with ad hoc controls; you should be
using defined pgf and char tags.

Speaking of customizing FM, you may want to look into Shlomo Perets'
customization kit (http://www.microtype.com/ToolbarPlus.html). My own
customizations were built on an earlier version of that, and I highly
recommend it -- you get a _bunch_ of extremely useful new controls,
commands, shortcuts, etc.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs