How to include font size indicator on formatting toolbar

McCallister, Michael (GE Healthcare, consultant) Michael.McCallister at ge.com
Fri Jun 6 11:36:08 PDT 2008

While Syed and Richard are certainly right about applying changes with
the toolbar, there's certainly nothing wrong with having font size
information located at the top of the screen. For me, at least, having a
quick visual cue about this without having to open a Designer window is
a small time (and screen real estate) saver.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of
Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 1:12 PM
To: Combs, Richard; Duncan, Gary; Bodvar Bjorgvinsson
Cc: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: How to include font size indicator on formatting toolbar

> Personally, I think you're better off with that control -- and many
> others -- turned off. You shouldn't be applying alignment, font, size,

> line spacing, bold, italic, etc., with ad hoc controls; you should be
> using defined pgf and char tags.

EXACTLY and TOTALLY right! Thank you!

In other applications, the use (mostly overuse) of this capability is
one of the things that I find most irritating ... when people mess with
a particular document (Word documents and Powerpoint presentations are
the worst!) and then expect things to NOT get screwed up when the
template is changed or updated or someone applies the template to the
particular file.

In FrameMaker, the ability to create char tags, and apply them to text
as needed, is a VITAL feature to prevent uncontrolled (usually
accidental and unknowing) changes in the look and feel of text unrelated
to what you might be modifying on the screen you are on.