MS Word vs. Frame

Angela Akridge angela.akridge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 14:06:37 PDT 2008

Hi,

Question: What features am I giving up by going with MS Word? Text insets?
Conditional text?

I'm a contractor for a very small startup that has a limited budget. I've
been tasked to create their online help. They currently have manuals in MS
Word, though no styles/tags are being used yet.

They have no permanent writer, and they can't afford one at this time.
There's a chance that I'll be supporting their major releases on an ongoing
basis, and they'll update the help for their maintenance releases. Let me
get to the point.

I must choose between MS Word or Frame as the source. I don't know which to
choose, given the circumstances!

Frame meets a writers needs now and in the future. I don't want myself or
the future writer to be stuck with MS Word. However, I know that the Project
Manager isn't gonna like learning Frame. A conversion is less highly
unlikely in an environment with very tight deadlines and where there are
limited resources.

They know how to use MS Word. I'm good with Frame, and don't know anything
about publishing with MS Word. Also, it's easier to recruit writers when the
source is in Frame, or so I've noticed.

Angela